Why do they say “don’t put all your eggs in one basket?”
- What if your favorite photo or important document is on your computer (or phone) and ONLY that device -the “basket”; and something happens to that “basket”. Then what?
- liquid spills and damages your data
- laptop or phone drops breaks
- thunderstorm that fries the harddrive
- age… did you know the life expectancy of a harddrive is 3-5 years?
- theft, fire, flood, loss…. get the idea?
- So, where else should you save your “eggs”? The second place would be a local storage device. This can range from thumb drives to external harddrives to a local NAS. We would be happy to discuss your needs based on size, compliance issues, or ability to share. Like those reasons listed above, this would be another basket but still at the same location. Things like theft, fire, flood could take out both baskets.
- The third location would be the Cloud? The Cloud, a.k.a., somebody else’s computers or data center where your information is stored at an offsite location. Depending on your need, there are many safe and affordable solutions. Some are free or some have a small fee. The data can be encrypted and shared based on your needs.